When Peabody showed up in the neighborhood, no one noticed anything odd. Thanks to my crazy-long lens and the gazillions of pictures I was taking of him and also thanks to the wonderful folks at the United Peafowl Association, I realized there was something wrong with his face. In true CameraChick fashion, I geeked out on their forum and Google and YouTube for a few days till I realized what was up and what needed done. Next step…a message to our vet, to see if she could help or had any suggestions. Her response? That I probably knew more about peafowl than she did at this point. EEKS! So….eeks!
Thanks to the knowledge and help of a wonderful person, we were able to get the cyst removed from Peabody’s face before I left town for a week. He was a model patient. My wonderful hubby was the bird catcher (there’s a LOT of wing on a mature peafowl!!) and he and I both held our buddy, so that he couldn’t move. The actual excision took less than 20 minutes, but it looked like a full-service surgery.
ANYWAY, without posting anything more graphic, Peabody is fully recovered and free-ranging again, perching on top of the house at night, which is pretty cool, because we know he’s safe there! There are lots more stories on their way, so keep an eye on the blog in the next couple of weeks. 🙂
And all healed!